Week 2: Topic Brainstorm

1.  Japanese Ghost Stories

I absolutely love ghost stories, and although I enjoy them very much, and have read very many I have been very limited to western stories. So, this being a topic on Japanese ghost stories specifically, it really drew my interest as I really would like to know and appreciate how other cultures tell their ghost stories. It combines one of my favorite topics (spooky stories) and adds a bit of curiosity of learning about other ways to tell and read about them. There are not a lot of past projects in the UNtextbook, but I will try to look around wikipedias also linked, as well as do my own research on the topic!


2.  OU Ghost Stories

Another ghost story topic (I know, I know, I'll try not to pick another and learn about other topics!) I chose this in particular to contrast it with my previous choice of Japanese ghost stories. I feel like I would be able to better and directly compare and contrast the types of ghost stories told on or about my university campus with that of the Japanese tales. With that, I would still be able to learn about non-western storytelling specifically with Japan, and expand my thoughts and experiences with that of western tales such as that on OU's campus. I hope to be able to learn about the differences (and similarities) of these stories and how it applies.


3. Greek Mythology

I chose this topic because I have not be exposed to much Greek mythology in a while, and I wanted to learn more outside just the basics that I read in high school. I feel like it will introduce me better to the class topic of mythology as I am slightly familiar with Greek mythology in particular, therefore allowing me to get the 'feel' of mythology before learning about a plethora of others throughout this semester. I can then, again, compare and contrast Greek mythology with other types of mythology as I read about them throughout the semester.


4. Weather Gods

This topic particularly focuses on one storybook done in a previous semester, which will help me hone my skills on how I could write my own stories. I would like to learn about the topic of weather gods, too, but this way I can also learn about how to incorporate my own writing on a topic such as this one. I have always enjoyed reading previous writing by students, and I would like to learn how they write so well by learning from their writing styles!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Z, the Microbiology major

Week 7 Story: The Prideful Man