Week 4 StoryLab: Language

 I really enjoyed these spelling and grammar videos as it gave me a lot of insight to the language I am native in, as well as how it can be compared to my second language, Urdu, which I learned from my parents growing up. The videos gave you information on how to better your language and grammar. This was done by telling you what exactly, for example, a semicolon did, how it was used, and when it can be applied. The video also gave background as to how it was developed, which allowed for more insight as to why we use certain punctuation in the first place. I enjoyed the video on how languages evolved, as well. This helped me understand more about my native language, English, and made me curious as to how my home language became a part of the mix.


The video on why grammar matters was also informative on the topic of language. I always believed grammar was important, as it is, in general, the building blocks to getting your point across in any scenario. Whether you are writing a letter to a friend, E-mailing your professor about a question you had, or meeting someone for the first time, it is almost always your method of first-impression. The video reinforced my prior thoughts on grammar and language, and helped me realize even more what a powerful tool it all is. It was also interesting learning about how many verb tenses there are in English, and it also helped me understand how complex the English language is as a whole.

Link to the playlist!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Z, the Microbiology major

Week 7 Story: The Prideful Man