Week 5 Story: The Students & Teacher's Assistant

There were once three students at the University of Oklahoma that went by the names Study, Studying, and Studied. They were all engineering majors who struggled with their majors. That is, except for, Studied. He had studied long and hard for his degree and had made it to graduate school and was commissioned as a teacher's assistant. 

The other two, Study and Studying had their final year as Seniors left before they would be able to join their friend Studied. The only thing stopping them was the final exam in Calculus V.

Study and Studying could only think about how close they were to finishing. They knew about the exam coming up, but were blinded with joy that they were about to finally about to graduate. Studied begged and begged them to study hard for their final exam, and even offered to help them study with his studying tricks to make sure that they would be able to pass.

Alas, Study and Studying ignored him and continued to plan parties and celebrate early for their graduation.

The days closed in on the final day for the final exam. Just with a few days left, Study and Studying realized how little the knew for their Calculus V final, and began to worry. They realized that if they weren't able to pass this class, they would not be able to graduate and their graduation day would be postponed for at least another semester. The panic sunk in, and hopelessness struck.

Studied knew about this all along, and prepared a study day for them in which they relentlessly covered every page in the lectures until they knocked out the morning before the exam.

The exam came and went as if it were nothing serious at all, as it was a walk in the park. Thanks to studied, Studying and Study became the TA's they aspired to be.


-- Author's Note --

My story was based on the Jataka Tale, The Three Fishes. In this story, Thoughtful, Very-Thoughtful and Thoughtless were three fishes who went to a new place that was known to be filled with fishermen. Even though Very-Thoughtful warned them to leave after sometime, Thoughtful and Thoughtless persisted and ended up being caught in a fish net. Very-Thoughtful was able to distract the fisherman with water, and they were all saved.

I wanted to keep the name scheme in my story, as I had really enjoyed it, but I made sure to incorporate another plot and setting (my favorite type: Universities!). I enjoy Jataka tales a lot, as they have been my favorite sections to read so far. Being able to base a story off of them is that much more exciting!

Based on:

Ellen Babbit. Jataka TalesSource.



Comments

  1. Hi Z,
    This story was very relatable since I'm also a senior waiting to graduate in May. Thus, just like a Jataka, I think it carries a very important message for its readers: study! I found it hard, however, to sympathize with Study and Studying because of their sheer recklessness (which may have been your point) so that the intensity of the story's climax was lessened for me. If you wanted to make the exam seem more daunting for the reader, you could make Study and Studying more into sympathetic characters so that we root for their success.
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Z! After reading the Three Fishes, I really liked your version of the story with Studied, Studying, and Study! This story really relates to real life because you can always ask people who have gone what you are about to go through for help and advice! With midterms coming up, I aspire to be like “Studied” after they are all done so I can relax and not stress about all I have to study for. I think a really good addition to this story would be to expand on the ways Studied helped the others with preparing for their exam. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I think your concept is super cool. I love the transformation of the original story into something familiar to all of us, OU college life. It also serves a reminder to the rest of us to be careful and not slack off! As a senior, I felt that. I will keep this story in mind for the rest of my senior year.

    Good luck with your classes and stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Z, the Microbiology major

Week 7 Story: The Prideful Man